Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Strangers Benevolence



January 28, 2010

That photo up there is the great Mr. Johnny Holloway. A champ in the rodeo world and in mmy book,life in general.

This is a story, of two different instances really, where a horse is involved in both; two different horses. One instance is just about the total opposite from the other; for one main reason. You’ll read and know the reason probably well before the tail ends.

These two particular instances came to mmind because of a friend who really loves horses. She’s said she has four. She rides them I’mm betting as much as she gets a chance. I’d imagine she takes very good care of every one of them as well.

Besides all that she is also an artist; her main subject matter as I remember is; you guessed it - horses. It’s been a few years since I’ve seen her so it’s quite possible she’s found more things to draw, paint, or design. No matter what it is, the girl definitely has creative talent. I could see that as she painted from day one.

Her name is Ashley. A lovely girl who I met while living in the wine country of Northern California. She was brought to mmy studio by Roger; an older friend at the time who was taking care of her along with someone else I thought was her younger brother. Most recently she wrote that in fact he wasn’t; just a friend.

Roger thought for some reason it would be cool for them to spend some time painting with mme. After a little surface talk in the studio/barn I called Barnio, I thought why not; they seemed like good people with a little time on their hands. It was a Saturday, late morning. I was working in the studio anyway.

We just grabbed a few extra things and began to paint together; empty plastic water container’s as I recall. The long kind with the handle on front which looked like a long nose with the spout being the mouth. Paint a few eyes of any shape in what one would think the right place and it looks like a face really.

Remember that Ashley? On the rez with the Spruce Street Colour Club we had painted a dozen or so of these. I was getting ready to do another series with other kids so I had already primed about ten of these a few days before. We painted what was a whole head with a face on the thing. Ashley’s was stylistically great!

In any case Ashley thanks for getting in touch. Now that you’ve connected again, I just wanted you to know that your love of horses inspired this little memory. Glad you’re still out there and hopefully you’re still painting. I liked your art work that’s for sure. Your love of horses reminded mme of a grammar school mate whose love of the same animals you mirror. Joan also drew a lot of horses.

A Stranger’s Benevolence

I was living in South Dakota from 1994 to 2000 and change. In that time I was lucky to be around and among a lot of ranch people. In a country atmosphere were a lot of people who did all kinds of work with horses. They raised them, trained them, brought them into the world, rode, bought, and sold them too.

I won’t mention the name of the person in this next part of the story. I’mm sure like a lot of horse trainers from the old days, some unfortunately might still be doing the same thing. It was what I witnessed and thought must be the cruelest way to train a horse; as opposed to a horse whisperer I did witness later on.

You’ve got the picture now? Well, there it is. I was living ranch country long enough to see the opposites in what one would imagine most trainers go through to train a horse. Maybe some do both because of the horse? I don’t claim to be an expert in anything horse related. I’mm more than uninformed of these things.

One thing I do know is what I had seen and how it affected mme when I did see it. Both ways were so opposite I couldn’t believe why anyone wouldn’t want to learn what was witnessed as being the most humane way possible. That was what I know now as a horse whisperer. By the way Googling Horse Whisperer you’ll find many things. Here’s one that really impressed mme. Check it out.
http://www.montyroberts.com/

The first person I witnessed trying to train his horse, or one of them, (he had a few) seemed like it was a really cruel and intimidating way to communicate with an animal of any kind. It was like he was teasing the horse, making him angry with both his own sounds as well as the way he treated the animal in total.

He kept whipping the horse with a long rope as well as an even longer chain. At the same time he kept yelling, and cursing at it. I guess it’s like anything; the guy was angry or trying to be so the horse was angry; and there’s the clue, isn’t it?

He had the horse penned in certainly. He had the horse going in a circle which like most training I’d imagine the horse would be lead to go both ways. Back and forth; this way then back that way. Whatever the trainer willed, that’s the way the horse eventually would go; but each time before the change, came the anger.

Needless to say the horse continued to be angry. It made irate snorts; reared up persistently while neighing in what seemed like loooong periods of time. The horse just wasn’t happy doing what the trainer wanted it to do. After a while it did do what the trainer wanted; or else. Some people are like that, aren’t they?

I was watching for a long time because I knew the old guy and of course he let mme stay there to watch. He knew I was a city slicker and that this was really mmy very first time ever watching this kind of thing. He was proud of what he considered his expert tease. The mman was also an expert leather bridal braider.

I didn’t want to see another after this to tell you the truth. It was so negative being there not only watching the stressed out animal but listening to it was even worse, I’mm sorry to say that’s just the weigh it is sometimes. It takes all kinds.

On the other hand, the next time I had the experience of someone trying to train a horse it was mostly by accident that I was even around. I was both lucky and glad because it finally presented a different side to how not only horses can be trained but any animal in general; anything living for that matter; plants too.

With kindness. With love. With respect for the other being. The horse whisperer took control in less time, with no stress and especially with a heck of a lot less effort then the first trainer. HIS name I don’t mmind telling you was Chuck Holloway. The first person and the last one I’ve ever seen do this with a horse.

Maybe the rest of his family, all of which I knew at the time could do the same thing. I’d imagine they could. His dad Johnny probably taught him and so on down the line. Johnny was a crack up. Something I did all the time made him laugh until he just about dropped to the floor for not stopping; but most times, he was the instigator. That’s another story I hope to get to one of these days.

The whole family, for generations was involved in ranching. Like the first guy I’d imagine, but in a different way. Again, I don’t claim to be an expert or even have more knowledge then what you’d find in a pea about horses; I’mm still learning.

The Holloway family used to raise stock animals for rodeos and such. The grand parents on down to husbands and wives, sons, daughters, grand kids all; trained since kindergarten to ride horses, rope steer, ranch cattle and what have you.

Ranching was and is still most of their lives. Eat, sleep, drink and dream ranching is their lifestyle. Amazing people. I felt lucky to be around them even if it was just for a short time. It’s a side of life I’ve never seen until meeting them.

After being around them for as short as it was, I can tell you that I respected many aspects witnessed in their family. How they lived, how they treated people; they showed great respect for everything including the land and animals; it was the way it should be. They were truly a remarkable family.

The Holloways had a son, TC. He was a rookie champ bronco rider years ago. TC was lost in a one truck accident. I still remember him well. He like his other siblings, parents and family really knew horses. TC was one of the good guys.
http://www.matchofchampions.com/holloway.memorial.htm

Sharyn Holloway, Johnny’s wife expressed at one point that in fact she did want to write a book. I hope she does. Maybe she already has. It’s been too long since we’ve communicated so I’mm not privy to the latest. In any case it would be a great read for anyone interested in their way of life. Lots of lessons there.

One day, I was helping Johnny, the father by fixing a huge wall. The wall was in their inside arena; a pole barn type of tin building about 300 feet long and about 100 feet wide. They used it for lots of different things. It was so long that end to end they could practice chasing and roping cattle in it and still have 30 feet of room left over at both ends for other things. A big tack room was off to the side.

They had movable metal fences in ten foot sections that could be made into different shapes; rectangles, squares or circular. The last is the way these fence sections were set up so Chuck could begin training a horse. Chuck was also a pick up man who sometimes teamed up with his sister Roxy.

Many times, together they traveled the rodeo circuit doing just that. When a bronc rider stays on his mount the 8 seconds it takes to win or is stuck in the ropes or whatever; Roxy and Chuck would gallop or run to their side and ‘pick ‘em up.’ Most times this would be to save the rider from injury or death, many times putting themselves in harms way. If you’ve seen a rodeo, you’d know this.

I was in the arena; in a usual concentrating mode, oblivious to anything else going on until I heard a horse snort. I was kneeling in the dirt at the bottom of the wall being worked on when looking up and down towards the middle of the arena. Chuck had set up a 20 feet diameter circle with the metal fencing. He was whispering softly to a horse that was just standing in front of him - face to face.

It was like they were just talking and getting to know each other. I didn’t see any food being exchanged; that may be possible. I couldn’t see that close. This lasted about 5 minutes or so; then Chuck just stepped back with a rope in his hand and basically ordered the horse somehow to start walking around the circle. Walking at first not running. Eventually he did get the horse to running back and forth.

At times he’d just touch the horse’s hind quarters with the rope; not hard; a tap or just gliding the rope along it’s back really; just so the horse new that Chuck had the rope he was being touched with. He’d make the horse go faster at times, then slower, then stop, then begin again; back and forth around the circle.

Pretty soon, or before much time went by really, Chuck laid a blanket on the horse’s back as it stood still. He’d caress the horse while still talking softly and petting it as he did everything. Then he’d put the saddle in the middle of the ring for a while so the horse could see it I’d imagine. This took quite some time, yes.

One thing led to another and before I knew it, he had the saddle on the horse and began to buckle the thing up with no problem; every so often the horse would snort but not in anger. Chuck kept talking to the horse; softly; reassuringly.

Then of course he just mounted the horse and began to ride the thing with little or no trouble at all. Chuck is a horse whisperer for sure. Remembering the first time with the angry horse, this was no comparison. It was a pleasure to watch.

As a city boy I just gazed at Chuck from a distance; in silence and amazement really. It was so cool to see that animal give back to Chuck what Chuck had given him; respect, love and kindness. It was apparent which way was the best.

No comments: