Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Future Revealed

The Future Revealed

I’mm not a clairvoyant but mmy sister seems to be; well not really but it would seem so when we consider something she said ‘way back when’ and what actually is taking place today, sum years later.

I won’t divulge what amount of time that is because for sure mmy sister would be more embarrassed then mme simply due to the fact that she IS much, much older than most turtles found encased in rocks not far from sunken galleons.

Oh not really. Actually she’s only a year OLDER, but we love to rub each other’s faces (or is that feces?) in silly sib-lingerings… slingerings perhaps? Whatever, maybe I’ve invented another word; like there needs to be more tearing apart of the alphabet, yes? Noooo… I’mm sure sis Sue would agree with you about this.

In that regard let it be known mostly because we’re very seldom next to each other physically, that she is oh so much shorter than I as well. It’s a fact that she is, at least by several inches - shorter; except when she wears ‘heels,’ as they say; which I never thought was fair because they won’t accept that as being her REAL height at the doctor’s office; not mmy fault, I didn’t make up those rules, that’s just the way it is. Most religious organisations except those that make up their own rules at bingo would even recognise this; it must be true, but don’t ask sis.

In any case, mmy dear Sue is such a cool person. She’s kind, generous, funny, loving to anyone and everything that exists including large or small animals, except those that get into her garden when they’re hungry; any size plant outside or in no matter the stem, leaf or route it took to get larger; birds of all species and most bugs that like her when she’ll return the favour only or unless it doesn’t leave crumbs all over the place. She likes a neat kitchen, bathroom, living room, porch, deck, alcoves, halls and of course and most importantly, the roof.

She’s brilliant, smart, beautiful to the degree of having several armies of boys who wanted to date and or marry her while they were in, or shortly they’re after her, high school Her current husband, who’s always been not too much longer after high school I might add got ahead of the line maybe because he was the tallest one and one who lived the furthest away; one may say not long after they met he had a car. For some strange reason this did make a different to several high school girls I can remember when relating these sir come stance is.

His car wasn’t as cool as most or even mmine, but the thing ran on fumes until one fateful night when the gas ran out too far away from home, a phone (there were no cell phones in those daze) on a dirt road and too late at night. Needless to say it wasn’t a very pleasant experience in our house; and rightly so.

Even though she was and still is as beautiful as anyone you’ll ever see, including YOUR sister, she was grounded for well over half a day or maybe a full one at the most. Her smile melts metal that even most of those in authority hadn’t or still have no defense even before she’s had a bath; don’t get mme started.

Ronnie her husband then and now, being the great dude that he is also attended a different high school and I must add a huge rival to ‘ours.’ Although his had a football team and ours didn’t made no difference. His team most times beat another high school’s team I always rooted for most Thanksgivings they played against his. One big strike against him until mmy team won one year after we met; and only once as I can recall. Why; had nothing to do with him, I was sure.

I always thought mmy sister to be a traitor because of this; oddly enough when I got to know Ronnie, for some reason I became a traitor too, that’s what height will do for you; it certainly wasn’t his football team. To this day I love the guy and for some reasons even more than I would several of mmy own school mates.

I must say one thing about Sue though; she’s thinner than I, but only by a few pounds. Yep, she’s got mme beat there and most of us know that’s really because of that physical, technical thing is that she’s a girl and has smaller bones. So I’d say we’re pretty equal on that account. At least I’ll go to mmy grave saying so.

To get to the real point here, it was on our daily walk to high school one day. Our conversation led to trying to figure out what we’d like to be as people when we grow up; maybe lucky enough to be in the grand age; like grand parents and such. Well, she’s one now with two, of course drop dead gorgeous daughters which I’mm sure her husband had nothing to do with, he was just there to let’s just say, light the fuse, that’s all. How important is that? Light and run isn’t it?

She said to mme, “You know bro, (we didn’t use bro back then but do now) I’d like to be the grandmother living in a house that everyone loves to visit and eat mmy home maid cookies. Do you think that will ever happen?” Genius that I never was nor a sage, but liked to cook with it; after I laughed for most of the way to school, stopped at one point before looking both ways wild crossing those streets and then said, “Nope; not a chants.”

“You don’t even know how to cook a hot dog yet.” To which fact she has to agree to this day because even shortly after her marriage she couldn’t reach this technical milestone with the recipe book staring in her face. She did know what a fork was though but a mixing bowl? I’mm not sure so don’t quote mme on that.

I on the other hand, watched our mother daily on mmy way to becoming or could have become one of the greatest Italian chefs of all time. Not as good as mom of course but I DO know how to make her red sauce as well as follow any recipe including that of bred. I can remember making mmy first meat ball with mom; as well as juice, cookies of all denominations and of course more juice.

Unlike dear sis, cooking talents came naturally to moi, except when one will consider a little, tiny flaw as a meatball’s shape being that of a ball, or round. I wanted to make oblong ones that turned into a favourite meal at the time, but maybe not considered a meat ball; known in our house as a croquette.

That’s another story altogether but suffice it to say sis is a great cook now and most likely due to a library of cook books or most importantly that she knows mme and calls mme constantly for cooking advice and what would I do if. Most times I won’t reveal anything unless she admits that I’mm the better cook.

Seriously, I love mmy sister Sue and brother Bob too. I’mm lucky to have been born into the same family. MMined you, from time to time will probably continue to enter stories about us on this new bloggo arena. I’ll warn you first.

In the interim this then is a short poem about and mostly for mmy dear sis whom I love more than broccoli dipped in ice cream mixed like soup. She actually became the dream she envisioned and I, like countless others love her for what she hoped she would be and certainly, without a doubt is:

The Future Revealed

More than anybody I know
She’s probably the happiest grandmother
This side of the Verrazano.
When she smiles
You can see her eyes form their usual squint.
Her crow’s feet, of them I’mm sure
She is really not self conscious about;
Begin to show a little deeper
As she approaches another year
Of adoring her family,
Especially her grandchildren.

Ah yes, her life and the way she relates
To her grandchildren and anyone for that matter
Are exactly as she told mme she had hoped
She was going to be as a grand mother.

When we were younger
I remember as we walked to school one day
How she described what she wanted to be
When or if she became an older person,
Especially when reaching the grandmother stage.

Well, now she’s there and you know what?
She is what she thought she’d become.

She’s so kindly, and giving
Smiles all the time, makes cookies constantly
In what she says is a never ending quest
For those treats from and given to her grandchildren.

Have you had any of her oatmeal cookies?
She just packs those treats full of
What you wouldn’t believe would be in those things.

I’ve seen her make them; and other won’s;

In the kitchen she moves precisely
Like she does most of the time
As a retired high school teacher.

Whenever she is crammed for time
She’ll have everything placed in order
As she reaches to the top of her cabinets
Or to get what’s important on the bottom shelf.

Like an octopus grabbing everything at once.

She’s so generous when it comes
To sharing her love.

She is love.

I love you too Sue.

No comments: