Sunday, February 14, 2010

I Remember - The Sky is Blue



February 14, 2010

Today, being a celebrated day for love and friendship, I thought to share a few words composed not long ago. They’re two poems actually. This blog is mostly composed of these two poems then the rest of the preambles were of blogs past and probably future one’s will be.

I Remember and The Sky is Blue are two poems like a few really, that because of their subject matter, and the time in which they were both written, were pretty easy as well as most difficult to think about during their composition. Many of you who like to write words most likely have had this experience.

It was at a difficult time especially to compose The Sky Is Blue. The person it concerns had passed days earlier. I had arrived at mmy sister and her husband’s house the same day that poem was written. A part of our little family was assembling for the funeral of our mmom. Needless to say unlike today a few years later, it was a somber gathering.

The Sky Is Blue poem began as memories of a childhood, traveling through the short years to adulthood. That day especially, I felt the need to put down on paper some of the things that mom and her life, her short existence had brought to mmind. Like most of us our moms were pretty special people; the one who brought us into this life to begin with; the one who gave us life.

I can think of a few well known examples of some who may have had the opposite kind of a relationship with their mom but the fact still remains that without that person, their person wouldn’t exist. Some of you out there may or did have difficult times with your mom but regardless, it was she who was the most important part of your beginning to breathe process. Just celebrating that little part of us; that in itself is worth celebrating.

Like most of you, of course these poems have brought both happiness and sadness to this blogger. Suffice it to say because of the time passed, the happiness has taken over. The sadness comes and goes when the wont of a mother’s voice, her touch or even her view is made more clear.

When we remember the multiplicity of feelings we can have with a person though a shared lifetime, especially when considering days like today; today is another day to celebrate happiness because:

I Remember
I remember her hands, so warm to the touch.
I remember her smile, her laughter ‘n such.
I remember us walking to stores not so close.
I remember our hand in hand Sunday’s to Post.
I remember her morning sounds stirred us for school.
I remember her coaching us, “…try golden rules.”
I remember her asking, “…you fighting again boys?”
I remember her yelling, “ …you two stop that noise! ”
I remember her roar from above, “The phone’s ringing!”
I remember her listening to the radio, singing.
I remember her worry, “ Will you be gone very long? ”
I remember her law, “…home when lights first come on.”
I remember her kisses, the Shine in her eye.
I remember her tears, long embraces, goodbye’s.
I remember her talking,”... so long’s, “on the phone.
I remember her silence most times we’re alone.
I remember her singing when singing meant glad.
I remember her soup spoons wild swingin’ when mad.
I remember her stompin’ the floor, “Ends drum beats!”
I remember her calling, “Come up! Time to eat! ”
I remember her baking, warm tastes from the oven.
I remember her hot bread and butter was lovin’.
I remember her pies, cakes, cookies - sweet treats.
I remember her croquet’s, mmy favourite meat.
I remember her soups, short food stretched the week.
I remember her special tastes, pinched her left cheek.
I remember her saved recipes, preparing our meals.
I remember her band-aids on scratches and heal’s.
I remember her spoonfuls of medicine were wiser.
I remember her treatment for colds, ”...Vaporizer. “
I remember her sponging mmy back; hot bath’s - tub.
I remember her saying, “ ...get the Vicks Vapo-Rub. “
I remember her charges, she took care of many.
I remember her sacrifice, so we would have plenty.
I remember her washing each baby in the sink.
I remember her colour of choice was pure pink.
I remember her ‘ Happy ’, each parakeet she named.
I remember her gladness, finally driving in rain.
I remember the first time I rode in her car.
I remember mme thinking, “She’s come really far.”
I remember her gifts of sewing our new clothes.
I remember her huggin’ when we almost froze.
I remember her Afghans, each one specially made.
I remember her feeling, her warmth wouldn’t fade.
I remember her voice most times whispered near.
I remember her love in, “Goodnight,” oh so clear

The Sky Is Blue

Holding our hand – kind nest, warms touch
Seen’s in our hearts - dear’s loved - loves hush
Tucked in pure night - soft spoke - kin words
Songs on pillows – pink’s flight - her birds

Walking new whirled’s – each sighed hangs on
Heaven’s at home – clouds drift, bygone
Gone won’t forget – lasting lifts wings
Summer, fall’s change - winter think’s springs

Two as one live, five as won grew
Colours pique’d love, reach of one hue
Dark shades, too bright – light leads two ‘fore
Love conquers all – journey’s amore

Family’s tree speech – birthed leaves begin
Roots whole’d to earth – reach new life’s grin
Deep is loves well - only love’s true
She coloured skies
The Sky Is Blue

No comments: