Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Cat House - 2

February 27th, 2010

Another reason I remember is because The Cat House was the first and last time something like that ever occurred. All the memories from that experience are as fresh in the noggin as if it was mmy service number and we know how that went. On the other hand, I have forgotten things that happened just yesterday.

In this case, I know it wasn’t a dream because so many visuals are clear in mmy mmined, including John’s face; and that’s something I’d sooner forget then remember in any nightmare. Only kiddin’ John. This is just a little, fun story, eh?

You’ve actually a lovely face except your last Christmas photo with you kneeling behind other family members could have used better lighting; but you’re the film guy so I guess you were in a hurry to clean up after the unwrapping trappings.
(Sit here Hon and you here little Johnny; don’t smile - MMicky will think we just woke up)

So I called John and asked him if he’d like to make a few bucks doing what he said he’d love to do. He asked mme what is that? I said he’d be filming us making a Cat House. He asked, what is that? I said don’t ask, just bring a favourite camera, a tripod and we’ll go from there. Be at mmy place at 8 a.m. tomorrow; don’t dress up and bring your lunch. We’ll be all day for two days.

He said, TWOOOO DAAAAYS?!? I said yes, one at a time, see ya tomorrow. OK, he said. The very next day, after 9 o’clock I called him again to wake him up. He asked if I could pick him up in a half hour; he’d be ready. I said, OK; don’t forget the camera and tripod. It was early, he asked what for? I said I’d tell him soon.

When I arrived at his house, he came out without the camera and tripod. I asked him where they were. He said, inside, why? I asked what he thought he was going to do today. He said he didn’t know. We sat there for about five more minutes when he knew the drill, went inside to retrieve his tools and we were off

The drive was a short one but we were late already. After a few seconds I thought, these are two Doctors, waiting for them shouldn’t be an unfamiliar situation. I relaxed and drove a few feet before John asked if we could stop for breakfast. I asked him where his lunch was and he said he’d like to have breakfast first and why did I ask about lunch when it’s still so early? I love John.

At this point I was reminded of how short this life is and sometimes we’re actually meant to enjoy it. This was one of those times. I was lucky not to be in too much of a hurry although there were further pressing situations; most of which had nothing to do with immediate so I just took a deep breath, smiled at John and asked him where he’d like to eat? He pointed and said, “Over there.”

Over there is where we went. One of the great local breakfast and all day really, food places in town was the next stop. For how long? I didn’t really care. I looked at it as a day off with a little sweating in between the laughs. I was happy to be with a pal. John is a pal and at times I wish we lived closer to each other. He’s a good mmusician, artist and friend. Creativity is our commonness. I love the guy.

During breakfast, John moved from table to table schmoozing like he usually does. It’s a small town restaurant so most patrons are regulars. I did the same thing really. Breakfast got cold but it was an enjoyable way to continue the day.

Like any Doctor will tell you, patient’s is a virtue. Two hours later we were again on our way; with the camera and tripod in tow as well as all the tools necessary to make both Doc’s happy, and hopefully their cats too. John was already happy. Having his breakfast, coffee and time to relax. We also had dates for that night.

We arrived at the Doc’s house less than seven minutes later. As soon as we pulled into the driveway, both Docs’ came out of the house not smiling. John and I exited the vehicle, both smiling. As I recall I wished them a good afternoon.

It was getting close to noon and I could understand their temperament if in fact they weren’t Doctors; but they were. All I said was that we were so sorry but we had a patient with an emergency and they understood. All smiling we went into the back yard. I did the preliminaries and asked John to film everything; from now until I say stop. He asked how long that would be. I replied, all day.

I’ll have to plug in an extra battery then he said. I said fine. He said that was left at home. The Doc’s were back in the house. I left a note on the back door that the lumber guy called and that we’d be back in five minutes. On the way the lumber guy did call (lucky mme) and another stop took place. It concerned material for the Cat House that wasn’t there yesterday so I felt relieved and still honourable.

We were back at the same spot forty five minutes later. Now it was past noon and John asked when we were going to have lunch. I said we just ate. He said that was more than an hour ago; besides that was breakfast not lunch. I said we had to do a little sweating first and if he passed that test then I’d buy him lunch.

He said, OK. He plugged in the extra battery then began to film everything. He shot footage of us taking tools out, stacking them up and dismantling the same stack in several different ways; including in slow motion. We set up one of those 16 foot folding ladders every way it could fold and work, laughing all the way.

We spinned the ladder, sat on it, stood on it as it lay sideways, made a Z with it, an upside down U or like a scaffold would be. I stood on that in the middle of the yard as John just shot mmy legs and feet; we just had fun. Two cats on a lark.

We even set different tools on the ladder in positions that would never work but looked funny. Mind you this was not something that was paid by the hour. I’ve always wanted to do something like the Marx Brothers, Three Stooges, (in this case two) Laurel and Hardy or just be crazy and have some fun in a way that things ‘normally’ wouldn’t be happening. In this case they were happening… so;

After all our fun that day, the next day I went back alone and built the whole thing in five hours. The Doc’s were ecstatic with the results of their feline’s new recreation spot. The woman Doc began placing cat toys, cat furniture and cats everything inside including the cats. That was the final test of safety and security.

They too were happy once all the sniffing and scratching for a way out was over. There was none even remotely evident. After discovering there was no escape through the door or chicken wire everything worked out fine. John was happy. I was thrilled and so was the Doc’s and cats. The day sunny, air fresh; smiles? Yes.

A few days later after a little editing on John’s part, I returned to further review the whole situation and to make sure nothing was left to chance. I gave the Doc’s a copy of the video. They wanted to see it right away. I stood in their living room during the final cut. I was even more thrilled when they just cracked up and gave thanks for a fine addition of safety for their ten family members. Life is coolier.

Thanks John.

No comments: